Saturday, February 7, 2015

Waiting no more.

I've determined that life is not going to stop throwing me curveballs, so I have to stop waiting for the calm. I have to take each day as it comes and make the most of it. Otterwise, I'll be stuck watching the world pass me by.

Last summer my hubby was diagnosed with high blood pressure due to liver disease brought on by chronic hepatitis C. The found a spot on his liver that was determined to be nothing, it resolved itself, as sometimes happens. Well after all of the stress of that, he was in a lot of pain in his back, we still don't know what caused it, but we saw an anesthesiologist and got some of the nerve endings in his spine burned, then one day he woke up and all the pain was gone...except in his feet and knees. Well while he was in the hospital last June I was paying really close attention to his blood work results, I noticed that his A1C was pretty high compared to the normal range. I asked the docs about it, but they didn't seem too concerned about it, so I let it go, figured it was because of the surgery he'd had and all the other stuff that was going on. Well before his last procedure that he needed to fast for, we went and did his blood work before checking in. I figured that would give the doc the best info possible. When those results came in, his blood sugar, which should have been on the low side due to the fasting, was really high. This time I didn't just let it go. I made him ask the liver doc about it, his response was, well that's pretty high. THAT'S IT?! So I made an appointment for hubby to go to his regular doc ASAP. Regular doc said he's diabetic, but it can most likely be controlled with diet and drugs, not insulin. No panic, just cut down on the sugar, cut it out if possible, watch what you eat and cut portion size down. OK no problem, we can do that. She also said that the foot pain was probably due to the diabetes being uncontrolled for too long, yay (sarcasm), at least there are new drugs out there that can help with the neuropathy.

While all this was going on, I developed a cough in about the middle of November, usually, if I get a bit congested, if I can keep it out of my lungs, I'll get over it in about a week. Well, I was unable to keep it out of my lungs and it lingered into a 3 week ordeal. I was not a happy camper and I really needed to get it taken care of because I couldn't sleep, couldn't breathe and was out of refills for my asthma inhaler, which was the only thing keeping me from dying, I swear. So I went to the doc, she ordered x-rays of my chest, put me on steroids, (thank God), and gave me some really good antibiotics. My x-rays came back showing some junk (unknown opacities) in my left lung and now I needed a CT. Oy, it wasn't getting any easier. So I had the CT done, easy, quick, in and out, done! So now I had to wait for those results to come in. Thankfully, it didn't take long, however, now they found that the junk in my lungs was probably damage from the bronchitis I had and would resolve itself in the end, however, they found I had a small hiatal hernia and some nodes on my thyroid. NOW, I needed an ultrasound of my thyroid, no big deal, I thought, my mom had thyroid issues when I was a kid, so I figured it's a family thing. The results of the ultrasound came in and being that I didn't understand the terminology being used in the report, I went online and looked them up. What I found scared me, the largest node is 2.5 cm (about an inch). And the description is most often linked to malignant cancer. I don't get to see the endocrinologist until the end of March, sooooooo now I wait and imagine the worst. I'm not really imagining the worst though, which is weird because I am not good at NOT feeding into the doom and gloom, but I don't think it's a big deal right now.

I just turned 50 and realized that I've already gotten more years than my mom did. She died when she was just 47. I had previously thought that I wouldn't make it past 45 so this is all gravy for me anyway. So I go day by day, enjoy the company that I keep, hubby and my daughter and her boyfriend. The work family that I have and work on my crafts.

I basically took a hiatus from cross stitching because I really couldn't see the holes to stitch and I picked up crochet again. Well, I just recently got new glassed and I can see to cross stitch again, so I picked up some WIP's and seem to have found a balance between the two. I did a little work on my Breast Cancer Mandala, it's probably the closest to being completed of all my previous years WIP's.

Here's the last pic of the where I was before my dad passed and the pic I took tonight.

I have really missed being able to work on my cross stitch and I am so happy that I seem to have found a balance so that neither the cross stitch or the crochet is being neglected.

I know this post has been a little long winded, but it's been a while again. I hope to not take so long between posts again. I'm really working on not procrastinating so much.

Thanks for being here! Have a wonderful day/afternoon/evening.

1 comment:

Mark Miner said...

I just enjoy reading your words, you have a gift of writing. I can understand about the curve balls life throws at you, and why we shouldn't just expect it...only live through them. Keep writing...and I'll keep reading. :)